Monday, July 9, 2007


Feliz Nueva de Julio!

It is snowing today. Although the ground is not cold enough for anything to stick I did have the fortunate experience of witnessing a 5 year old on the corner who was seeing snow for the first time in thier life. The girl's mother was explaining to her what the falling white flakes were, either that or she was telling her not to eat it. Honestly I am not actually sure which. I hear NYC is 95 degrees with nearly equal humidity, I will take this any day. So I woke up very late today, something about the cold that slows the motivation to pull one's self out of a comfy bed. I hit my mental snooze button at regular intervals. The plan for the day was to visit the barrio of La Boca. Me, Nick and Nicole made our way to a cafe a few blocks away for breakfast. Today being a national holiday the place was crowded with people having big liesurely lunches. The couple next to us had ordered the mixed parilla meat plate for two. The parilla is basically an open charcol grill that seem to exist in almost every cafe and restaurant here. Anyway the waitress set down a chaffing dish the size of a pool table that was filled with the most obscene amounts of red meat. The dish was so large that nobody could help but laughing. Upon seeing our reaction the gentleman of the couple told us we could help ourselves, apparently this is very comon in BA. Although I really wanted to grab a blood sausage and run it through the old wood chipper that is my mouth I had to resist because it just felt kind of uhm .... odd. I opted for the Matambe which appeared to be similar to a stroganoff served with papas espanola which are very thick fresh fried potato chips. Being a three day weekend all of the ATMs were seemingly out of cash - "No plate", this limiting the options that the day held due to a cash shortage I returned home to a schedule of intermittent reading and napping. Ok it's now eveinging and some people are coming by for food and drinks, must get myself cleaned up or at least more awake. Never made it to La Boca.

1 comment:

erika said...

hey cliffie! love the reporting-keep it coming.

a friend of mine from Concord is now living in BA--has been for over 1 year now. Her name is Heather Henniger. She's actually coming home for a visit on 7/19 until 8/8 but said you should give her a jingle--cell phone (dialing inside Argentina) 15 6 558 9016
home : 4774-5948